In the early 1950s, many Hispanic children in the neighborhood were dropping out of school after elementary grades. Parents and the Sisters saw the need to offer these children the possibility of adequate curriculum, competitive skills to promote students to further education; Father Yermo Elementary was born in 1958 in the building that hosted the old Sacred Heart Orphanage. Two years later, in 1960, Father Yermo High School opened its doors, in the old quarters built for sisters’ refuge during the religious Mexican persecution. Both campuses thrived, as children from the neighborhood and from Juarez, the sister city, began graduating. The new school buildings were inaugurated in 1958 and 1964. Accreditation was pursued and obtained in 1966.
The years went by, and in 1988 Father Yermo Schools was the first Catholic School in Texas to undergo the joint dual visit from SACS-CASI and Texas Catholic Conference when TEA stopped accreditation of private schools. Faher Yermo has consistently been accredited by TCCBED, and is recognized as an institution that expands the excellence with programs that teach students according to their talents and aptitudes, and prepares them for their future professional occupation, while they develop in a family Christian environment.
Father Yermo Schools has also witnessed the elevation of Father Jose Maria de Yermo to sainthood. On May 21, 2000, in St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome, Pope Saint John Paul II canonized Blessed Jose Maria de Yermo as a Saint for the Universal Church. Father Yermo Schools’ Family throughout the world joined in the celebrations.
In the new millennium, Father Yermo Schools have seen expansion and improvements. The elementary added a new wing in order to broaden its services. A Capital Campaign Board was formed in 2000 to fundraise and built the Rudolph Miles Multipurpose Center inaugurated in March 2006. In 2011, the Early Learning Center building was blessed to host the lower elementary grades. The Capital Campaign Board has fundraised to build the Multipurpose Media Center-Library.